Saturday, December 1, 2012

St. Joan of Arc

I have a fascination and appreciation for Joan of Arc, the Maid of Orleans.  The fact that the Dauphin allowed Joan to lead an army of men in a time of blatant misogyny is a miracle in itself, but when a woman of strength and faith is called into action, she displays courage and grace and battle those who would oppress and misalign.  The tragedy is that Joan, after displaying extraordinary insight and tenacity in battle, was herself a victim of malignant politics, her life snuffed out at 19.

Joan's undying faith in God, paired with heavenly messages from St. Michael the Archangel, and SS. Margaret and Catherine, was used against her in a series of trials for heresy, even after her military victories saved France and crowned Charles King of France. 
I received 12 years of Catholic education, and I do appreciate that my parents sent me and I do love the traditions and ceremony of Catholicism.  My fascination for the saints led me to study Medievalism in college and specifically hagiography, the study of saints. Some of these venerated people led bizarre lives and their actions seemed born of insanity, but they did achieve great feats in the name of God.

Recently, I have felt the need to create in response to my faith, and to my love of the saints.  I recently took two online metal smith classes from Stephanie Lee and learned to create my own bezels. 

This bezel consists of bronze sheet metal formed into a Gothic arch which holds an image of Joan.  I sealed her with Diamond Glaze, but I didn't cover the image so it picked up a bit of fuzz, so this will be mine to wear.  Next stop: Ice Resin, more bezels and saints...onward and upward!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely necklace. I too love the traditions and ceremony of Catholicism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it turned out great....the classes sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I've loved following this blog roll - thank you everyone for the inspiring stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, I grew up attending several Catholic schools as well - from New Orleans to Guam! I am so drawn to your necklace, it is stunning! I like the simplicity with a few crystal rondelles, and your beautiful handmade bezel!

    ReplyDelete